Monday, January 31, 2011

A walk in the park..


Nikon D40x
f16
2.5 seconds
ISO 200
Nikon AF 18 - 55mm 3.5-5.6 @ 18mm

I've been back in Cape Town for a few days now. I'm really enjoying being back in the hustle and bustle of the city. There is always something going on. Being able to spend my time between Knysna and Cape Town is something that I am really greatful for. It is nice to be able to escape the constant noise of city life for the peace and tranquility that Knysna offers and vice versa.

I am moving flat though.. Since I arrived in Cape Town at the beginning of 2007, I have stayed in Rondebosch, Newlands and Clairmont. I'm Moving to Gardens on the other side of the mountain, closer to the CBD. I think its going to be a nice change of scenery and I'm looking forward to having to familiarise myself with that side of town. Its going to be pretty cool finding new things to do, looking for places to shop and places to hang out and just experiencing life on the other side of the mountain.. haha.

One thing that i am going to miss about being in Clairmont is being so close to the Newlands forest and that area of the Table Mountain National Park (TMNP). I do a lot of walking in the forest when i have free time and I'm not at college or at the beach kiteboarding or surfing. The trails starting from the Newlands Fire Base on the M3 offer anything from a gentle stroll to a full on serious hike. Following your instincts can lead you into a serious maze, never really knowing where you are going to come out. Its pretty hard to get really lost though. I most enjoy walking up to the contour path and then up through the Newlands ravine; and from there on to devils peak. Its a nice ramble for the more fit. The toughest of the climb being a part known to myself and my mate Martijn, as 'The Squiggley'. It seems to go on forever. Anyone who has been up this route probably knows what i am talking about.

A lot of streams run through the forest carving miniature gorges on their way down. During the winter month when we experience the most rainfall, a lot of large tree trunks and logs are washed down and end up towards the bottom of the mountain. This always instills these images in my mind of raging torrents of water rushing down the mountain. However... I have never seen one. Whenever I'm there, they are only ever small trickling streams, gentle making their way through the rocky riverbeds and the tree trunks. So until i eventually see a raging torrent, I have added a picture of a stream.

Hope you enjoy it. P.S.

1 comment: