Saturday, May 21, 2011

Fleeting Glimpse

Canon EOS 7D
f4
1/6th Sec.
ISO 640
EF 24-105mm f4 L IS USM @ 24mm

For the last few days I have been hearing speculation about the end of the world, which is supposed to happen today… but it hasn’t yet. Apparently, but don’t quote me on this, it has been 7000 years since the great flood which changed life on Earth. This is the same flood which prompted Noah to build an ark and save a pair of all the animals in the world. Apart from unicorns, according to The Irish Rovers they were messing around and got left behind.

Personally I hope it doesn’t end today. There are too many things I still have to do. Going out for dinner tonight with my girlfriend to one of my favourite restaurants would be one of them, winning a noble prize, having one of my photographs on the front cover of National Geographic magazine, they would be others. But even still, I’m having too much fun just being alive and living for today.

So the provincial elections are over and the DA have retained their position as municipal rulers of Cape Town. It wasn’t a particularly tough race by the sounds of it. Lets just hope the good job they have been doing doesn’t stop. I didn’t vote as I am not a South African citizen but a lot of people I know did. It is nice to see a lot of young people were voting. After all, they are the future of the country.

I was driving over
Da Vaal Drive
with Joss last night on the way to Rondebosch when I glanced over my shoulder to look back at the city. I was amazed by the sheer beauty of what I was seeing and made Joss do a quick U-turn in order to find somewhere to stop so that I could take a couple of pictures. Luckily I did have my camera with me (it usually is with me) but I had left my tripod at home not really. I wasn’t sure that I was going to get a useable shot as I was shooting handheld in very low light. When I quickly glanced at the screen I was awed by the colours I was getting of the sky but feared that they might be a little blurry. To my surprise, when I got home and looked at the pictures on my computer, only a few were blurry. The majority of the photos had come out very sharp even though I was only shooting at shutter speeds of between 1/5th and 1/20th of a second. Although there is motion blur, which I what I wanted to achieve, the backgrounds are sharp and crisp. I don’t think I would have managed without the amazing image stabilizer on the lens that I am using. Very, very happy with it.

One nice thing about the shorter, cloudier winter days is that you get to drive home to the sight of a beautiful sunset. Its amazing there aren’t more accidents caused by people marvelling at the view! If the end of the world looks anything like the end of Africa then hey, bring it on.

P.S.

Will be back…



Canon EOS 7D
f4
1/80th sec.
ISO 320
EF 24-105mm f4 L IS USM @ 105mm

I went to butterfly world with Joss this morning. Really awesome place. This little guy was the size of my hand!!

No comments:

Post a Comment