Friday, June 17, 2011

Rugby in the Rain

Canon EOS 7D
f4
1/640th sec.
ISO 320
EF 24-105mm F4 L IS USM @ 105mm

The problem with blogging is that you always need something to write about. For me, I also feel as if I need a good picture to go along with my subject! So when I’m busy with college work and I have little free time, I find myself unable to find things to write about that I feel are interesting and make for a good story! So here I sit this evening and I realise that I haven’t posted in over twenty days, which makes me feel quite upset. It is as though in this amount of time, I feel that I haven’t done anything that I consider to be ‘interesting’.. The truth is actually far from it. I have done plenty of things that are interesting; they just aren’t things that are different.

I think that everyone in South Africa has noticed that winter is truly here. To me, the onset seemed somewhat delayed. I spent the month of May continually waiting for it to get cold and for the rainy weather to set in, but it just didn’t seem to come. I obviously hadn’t taken into account the fact that I had moved from Claremont to Gardens! I was really surprised to find that it was completely overcast and raining on some of the occasions that I was that side of the mountain in comparison to the clear sunny skies in town! I knew that the mountain had an effect on the local weather conditions just not that it was so drastic.

A few weeks ago I was asked to take some pictures of the rugby games that were taking place at SACS High School, situated in Newlands, between their competitors from Stellenbosch, Paul Ross. When I left it was very cloudy but the sun was managing to break through the clouds on the odd occasion. When I arrived in Newlands, the rain was hammering down. Sceptical that I was going to manage to get the pictures I was hoping for, I went out anyway under the cover of a poncho which was beginning to break apart in a big way. During the next couple of hours I managed to get thoroughly soaked to the bone but did come away with some shots that I was happy with. The heavy rain added a new creative element to the pictures I got, whereas originally I thought it might have had the opposite effect.  I spent a large part of the time trying to keep my camera as dry as possible. Fortunately, the lens I was using (24-105 L) is weather sealed which kept my mind slightly more at ease, but even still, the thought of water on expensive electronics doesn’t sit well in anybody’s mind!

One of the annoying things about photographing or filming sports and events that you find interesting is that you can’t really pay attention to what’s going on. You spend the whole time with your eye to the view finder and concentrating on capturing the moment that you actually miss the action. The irony is that, as a photographer, you are intent on capturing an image for someone else, but, in this case, you don’t really get to see it for yourself. … I guess in a sense its all worth it if you succeed in capturing that rare moment. Especially if it’s paid work!

I’m going to Knysna in a few days time for a week or so, just a little holiday. Hopefully I will find some cool things to do that I can tell you all about! If I’m lucky I may be able to manage to capture a little more of South Africa’s unique beauty.

I have now had over 1000 page views! Thank you for your interest. If anybody has any ideas or suggestions on how i can improve this page or any suggestions about things for me to write about, please feel free to comment. Your thoughts are much appreciated! Thanks again.

P.S.

Check in soon!


Canon EOS 7D
f4
1/160th sec.
ISO 320
EF 24-105mm F4 L IS USM @ 105mm

No comments:

Post a Comment